New Year, new hope, new start

I saw this in one of the blogs I read:

. Well, do you all know why people call it "new year resolutions"? That's because they only say it on new year's day, which is on the 1st Jan


Before I carry on, let me wish all my readers a happy new year. Ok, now, Are new year resolutions called so because they are only being said on New Year's day? Well, for a lot, I do agree that this is the case. It's an opportunity for a lot of people to say 'YES! It's a new year and let's show people the new me!'. Oh well... But to some (includes me =P), a new year represents a new start and a new beginning and a chance to refresh myself from the past. In short, it's a chance to really begin on a new journey. A year is a year and 365 days mean a lot of events and stuffs. Shouldn't then a new year deserve a definition of a new journey, even though this new journey is part of a constant journey we call life? But of course, if a new year is the start and beginning of a new journey, that will only mean that we need a destination. After all, what's the point of beginning a journey without a destination in mind? It's just like you tell your friends, 'Oh, I'm going for a tour.' And when asked where you are going for a tour, the reply is 'Oh, I have absolutely no idea. I'll see where my ship takes me to.' Leaving things to chance? Well, without a destination, nothing will be accomplished in the end. That's where new year resolution comes in. New Year resolutions are therefore the destination we set for ourselves in this new journey ahead. Well... I never understand that or never thought of that until I see this quote. Kinda inspired some thinking in me. So, inspired to get a new start but dun know how? Well, you can try to ask me =P

Anyway, there was a heavy rain on New Year's Eve afternoon in town area. Quite a heavy rain. Whoever moved from building to building were bound to get wet. And I was wet (no pun intended). But luckily, there was no more rain in the evening, which was good, since my friends and I decided to go Esplanade area to witness the fireworks. We were there, too early and decided to entertain ourselves with games, a lot of dumb games. I could have taken a few photos and explain the games which we played to those who are curious. The first game we played was the 'diu diu diu diu' game. Sound stupid and dumb? Well, it is really so but however, we had fun being stupid and dumb. Next up, we played the 'bing bong' game. Catch no ball? Ok, message me and I will explain it to you personally. Of course there are other games we tried but the most fun are the former two. Also, not to be missed out, especially since we are NUS students, we created our own 'smoke screen'. It means we played sparklers (is that how you call it?). Yeah, there was a lot of smoke. There was the fireworks too, which was the reason why we were at Esplanade area... ok, not really Esplanade, we were at Marina Square. There was also the Auld Lang Syne... the crowd and yeah, the crowd. For nine minutes of fireworks, one would really think if it's really worth it to be squeezed like a meatball in the middle of City Hall mrt. But then, the fun from the night makes it worth it, not the fireworks alone. I would really want to take some photos of the fireworks but unfortunately, I didn't really have a cam with me then. There was this series of fireworks, which created the effect of a starry starry night. I was literally dumbfounded...

Getting home was quite different this time round, though the means remained the same. I went out with the usual crowd, but went home with one of the friends who live in Bukit Panjang too, but he's the most unlikely person to come home with me then. Nevertheless, upon reaching home, someone tell me why ain't I surprised that I can still see four gamblers gambling in my RC. Ok, they had a countdown that night too. But tell me why didn't I feel that I miss out on things? This year (last year?) I took on a different style of celebrating this festive season, which included New Year and Christmas. For the first time in so many years, I excluded my YRC khakis. Not that I threw them aside... I did invite them to join me for my Christmas outing and for New Year's Eve, they decided to stay in the RC. For a moment, I didn't want to exclude them from the fun I was having on both the nights. Not to say that I'm leaving them behind to engage in my own fun. Anyway, I have been thinking for quite some time, but never mind, it will be my latest resolution. Think the only thing I missed out among them is the conversation about anything.

Now, this is year 2006 as I type this. It's my first posting for 2006 (someone says hooray). Woke up in noon today, and ate my lunch as brunch, my brunch as lunch. Well, this is the result of sleeping 'too early'. This is the kind of sleeping pattern that most ought to get rid of, if you are going to start school soon. It's raining as I type this post. And I bet it's gonna be a cold evening as the first day of 2006 passes by. So, to all my readers, does 1 Jan 2006 feels like just any other day?

Till the 2nd post of 2006, I'm ending it here. That's all folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity