Ask and thy shall be given

My post today has nothing to do with 'Ask and thy shall be given' but if you ask, you should be given... by... I dun know who.

Had my first nation building tutorial today. The topic of the discussion was as such: "The 'imagined' Singapore nation is an institutional construct that has little basis in history or relevance in an increasingly globalized world. The belated initiatives of the ruling PAP government to inspire a Singaporean nationalism should be seen, not as a reactive response to preserve indigenous identity and culture, but as a rear-guard attempt to insure the government’s ongoing hegemony over the state." Well, I must say that the class is quite dynamic in the discussion and I had fun listening to all their views, except for this girl who keeps criticising on the current institutions, which of course includes other organisations as suggested in the questions as well. I could not really tahan her criticisms cos it was quite obvious that although she's a bit anti-institutional. In the end, when she argued that the reason why workers go on strike is because of the environment they are in and if the condition was made favourable by the government, there wouldn't be any strike in the first place during the pre-independent days of Singapore. That was the breaking point and I really have to shoot her back. Well, exactly what I shot at her, I shall not elaborate.

Anyway, later in the day I received this email by one of my project mates:

Hey groupies, I seem to be the only one talking. Are you guys reading this? I'm sure there are things to say in the forum. And remember we're meeting next week 9 Feb, so borrow and read up before that, will ya? No social loafing hor


Let's trace back the chronology. We first met formally on Thursday afternoon to discuss about what topics to do. Then we dispersed, agreeing that no point borrowing any books before the CNY holidays cos no one would read. After CNY, the first day of school, I see this email... hey... what is this supposed to mean? Let's see, after Thursday, we have Friday, but dun think no one had the mood to work on Friday, then we have four days of CNY, inclusive of CNY eve and surely no one is as 'eng' as him, who wants people to 'talk' in the forum during CNY loh. I mean, what's the point of being so hyped up... c'mon, it was the CNY, it's supposed to be a break away from normal school work. Aiya, anyway, cos of this, one saying comes into my mind, said to me by Robert: "Do your best and let God do the rest". But c'mon, people need a break also loh.

Anyway, talk talk talk, but still need to go back to work and do my part on the project. Do what we ought to do, cos it's our responsibility.

Ciaoz, till I shoot the next person again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity