Le Valentino Desu

So, in less than an hour away, it will be Valentine Day, or rather, I prefer to call it Friendship Day, sounds more universal. Before I carry on, let's wish all my readers a happy Friendship Day, and may God bless you all with a fruitful day with your friends (or loved ones).

Now, recent days have been quite inspiring. On Saturday (I know I posted on Sunday), I actually learnt something about love and friendship based on the following proverb:

A friend loves at all time and a brother is born for adversity. - Proverbs 17:17


In the coming of Friendship Day, have you ever thought about what's friendship all about? There was a competition for the best definition of friend in (I think) Britain. And from some of the entries, a friend is one who understands our silence, empathise with us, multiplies joy and divide grief and comes in when the whole world has walked out. In other words, the love of a true friend is constant and a true friend is someone who will love us for who we are and accept us as ourselves. As one of the commandments from the Bible says:

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. - John 13:34


More than often, it is so difficult to love. And dun be mistaken, 'like' is not as the same as 'love'. It is easy to like, but difficult to love. To love is really to completely accept, as what is said:

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God - Romans 15:7


Well, actually, within the context of Friendship Day, it is good to rethink about ourselves as friends of others and reflect upon it. Hmm... I recently also learnt that in order to become a better friend, one tested and proven method is to speak more words of encouragement and learn to see the best of the friends around me. It's so true, man. How many times have we encourage our friends despite hard times and low times? How many times have we learnt to put down our friends when they need our words of encouragement? That's why, let's be a person committed to love today.

That is also why, as I move on reflecting on the next point, friendships normally deepen during tough times, when we learn to become a better friend. Therefore, in times of this, 'a brother is born for adversity'. This sort of reminds me of my NS days, especially my BMT days, when the whole group of us suffered together and helped each other up when we are falling. Sometimes, it is such friendship that will strive to last. Though I'm now not in much contact with them, I'm so glad and thankful to God that I have made a bunch of friends I can trust on in NUS, not only limited to the brothers and sisters. Man, how fortunate can one get?

Anyway, till the real Friendship Day comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection