Times of trials

I recently started reflecting on some verses and found the following:

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Romans 5:3-4


In times of trials, in times of sufferings, probably it would be the hardest times for us, probably the darkest hours of our life. But what are we going to do about it? Some of us would probably give up the struggle and let ourselves waste away. Some may take on the fight and, therefore, persevere on. Indeed, it is only through perseverance that we build on our character and grow, as it is said, 'character is built through temptations, tests and trials.'Without all these sufferings we experience, we certainly would still live on in our own comfortable zone. And because we grow through perseverance, we develop hope through our growth too. So to all my friends, why not look at the bright side and embraces and rejoice in our sufferings, of course, we must grow out of our sufferings lah.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
- Matthew 7:3-5


This is something that I have known for a long time, since my J1 days and still try to keep it in practice till now. In case you all never realise, in layman terms, it means that how can you criticise other's flaws when you have not examined your own. More than often, we point fingers at other people, but when we point finger, it's one index finger (sometime middle one) to other and three fingers back to ourselves. More than often, when we criticise on other people, we fail to recognise that we are actually also criticising ourselves. More than often, when we criticise other's for some shortcomings, we possess that shortcomings in some form or other. So before we criticise, shouldn't we take a look at our inner self and learn to criticise ourselves instead?

Okay, enough of self-reflecting. Now, let's talk about what happened to myself for the past week. Basically the normal things that happen everyday happen. Basically a lot of projects and readings, but also a lot of God, God and still God. Also, my brother left for Iraq last Saturday for a four months mission... how much I wished that he's there for church planting... But then, he's too well to even email me to help him buy Maxim (pengz). Had a New Believers' Party on Friday and the new believers, like me, put up a surprise performance for the rest of the people and I was actually to ask to give my own testimony, talk about sharing, I got my own 5 minutes to share about my walk with God... A bit sad that some friends can't make it. Anyway, they also put up a performance on the new believers' route to the receival of Christ... and I must admit it was a good performance. Too bad I missed the DNA ritual... Today we played basketball at PGP and really, it's time to work out, or else I will find my own stamina diminishing. It's a really shagged thing to do... and I also found out that it's time to start losing weight...

Anyway, Friendship Day's coming in one week time. Time to think about some programme. And till I can think of something, I bid farewell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity