Mention in the passing

I just remembered a conversation over lunch just now that I felt I should blog about it (despite the fact that I have just blogged).

Over lunch, my cousin mentioned that the reason why I decided to receive Christ in spite of declaring that I will not do so was because I was not determined enough, that I was too easily influenced (the implication was as such).

Hmm... the reason why I decided to receive Christ? I think I have mentioned it in this blog before, so I won't be revising them in this post. Now, assume a force which you cannot control exist, a force which moves all the things in this world, a force somebody may wanna give it a name called fate, a force somebody like me called God. Note that force in this argument is not the force we define in physics.

By saying so (from my cousin), she's actually implicitly denying this assumed fact logically speaking. In fact, she actually denied that there is God out there, waiting to strike the closed door with a dose of thunderbolt, bringing into light a whole new world of revelation. If you believe in fate (I would if fate is divine intervention), then it will mean that the time was actually near for me to receive Christ, as the days moved towards 10 Dec 2005. If God is the Way, the Truth and the Life, then compared to my earthly arguments, then I will say that I was, indeed, easily influenced... by God Himself, logically speaking again.

My point is that, if you say people are so easily shakened out of their rejection of God, then you will have to ask yourself why? Things do not just happen out of the blue. There are reasons why things happen the way they happen. Try listening to the testimonies of the believers and reading the Word with an open heart and mind, with an objective viewpoint, without any pre-conceived biasness. If you do not start believing in God in the end, I will.... never mind. I have faith that you will believe if you fulfill all the criteria, cos God will certainly find a way to convince you, no matter what. He is God, we are not. And I'm not surprised if He can really touched you in your life somehow.

Since I'm in this topic, I might as well talk about another thing, which is what people will call fate. A lot of people, especially the Chinese believed that everything in this world have their own pre-destined fate, that everything they do and whatever things that might happen to them depends on fate. I have a few things to say about this concept of fate. Firstly, the amount of faith required to believe in fate is, to me, the same as the amount of faith I'm willing to put into God on 9 Dec 2005. People, without realising, actually put their faith on fate. Secondly, by putting faith in a 'fact' that such a thing called fate exists in this world, people are actually acknowledging that there is something controlling their life and there are certain things in their life which they cannot control.

So what's the problem, you may ask. To be logical about it, people who believes in fate are no different from Christians who believed in God, looking at the two points I have talked about. But one thing, for people who believe in fate, there is a slight problem for them... they dun know the character(istics) of the thing they faithfully put their faith on. They have nothing to depend on to expand their knowledge of fate. On the contrary, at the very least, I got a Bible to teach me what kind of God is God. While for fate, people put their faith on something they will possibly never know, I can confidently base my faith on the Bible.

Try arguing your way out. But before you dispute my case, can I ask you a favor: provide a case on how fate determines your purpose in life with some concrete evidence or at least something which you can base your argument on, not some abstract theory which you conjure out of your mind. I'm sorry, but I'm a historian and while I can substantiate my claims with clear hard cold facts, I'll also be interested in evaluating the other side of the story... with clear hard cold facts too. This is how I treat my schoolwork and this will be how I treat such a discussion.

I will believe in fate, if fate is divine intervention.

Eventually, it will point down to logic, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection