Over the Hedge

Just went to watch Over the Hedge. Honestly speaking, I didn't really know the storyline beforehand, but I heard good comments over that movie, so decided to watch it. (Anything as long as it's better than DVC) I won't spoil the story for those who have not watched it but there are quite a few observations here and there which really touched me there.

One of the themes in the movie is about family. Basically, in short, the story is about this rangoon got himself into a mess and ended using a family of forest animals to get himself out of the mess, but ended up being treated as part of the family, something more than what he bargained for. Yes, a family. Makes me think of those poor souls out there who are ever looking for a family (I'm not trying to act holy or what, in case people like you-know-who start commenting, 'so holy...'). This message about a family is so staring in the eyes in the movie that one cannot stop but start pondering about it. To put it into a proper context, God created us for His family, and because we know that we are not created by accident, we can take that into consideration and realise that if so, then there ought to be a family for every soul out there. If only people would start realising that...

Next up, something which really caught me is how far will you go for your own success. It isn't a prominent theme in the movie, but that question sort of popped out in my mind after that movie. Such a logical sequel to my previous post. Have you all seen how far people can go in order to seek their own success? Some are willing to twist words to get people into their plan. Some are not willing to reveal the whole story to people so that they can get the money or favour. People get so lost in success. I know of people who get 'so successful' that they start insulting those who seem that they cannot make it. I know people who just can't get enough 'success' that they decided to slide away from God and do their own way. I know of people who are so desperate in 'success' that they got deluded. People tell themselves 'I must succeed!!!' And they came out with concrete plans and are willing to 'go all out' to do it.

But dun get me wrong. I'm not saying that I'm not for success. In fact, I believe in success a lot, God believes in success in life too. Just take a look at how He prospered people like Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Joseph and David. Just look at how He used people who are successful in business, such as Matthew, a retired tax collector and John, a fisherman (he came from a family which was successful in fishing). So I believe that God wants success for those He loves. But now, what is the real meaning of success with God in our life? Following other theories, to Buddhism, success is an illusion in life, and that's no God in the picture. I'm not sure how other worldviews view this issue, but I know for some atheists, success is achieving individual happiness (yeah right). What is life if your mission everyday is to make sure you maintain a step of success ahead of others? What is life if what's in your mind everyday is how to outdo people? What is life if you are just going to mug your life away? Just what is life if you are forever denying God in your life? Just like the rangoon will not find food if he stays behind the hedge, we cannot really find real success if we stay behind the door and refuse to knock it.

So this question I pose here: If there is a living God in this world who wants you to be successful in life, how will you respond to Him?

There's no point giving me an answer, cos it will be your personal answer to such a big question. Often, the most simple answer is required for the most complex question. That's why I have always held it so close in my heart, that success in life can only mean one thing: to fulfill God's plan and purpose for me in this life before meeting Him in heaven. Just like the car can only be successful if it is able to driven.

And till I managed to climb over the hedge, I shall write again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity