My take

It sometimes amazed me how people blindly put their faith in England, banking on them beating Portugal. Likewise, some people also blindly said that Germany will be thrashed out of the world cup by Argentina and now people are saying that Italy will thrash out Germany. Also, people were heard saying that Brazil will win France blah blah blah. I personally have said that I was banking on either Germany, Argentina or Brazil to eventually win the World Cup. But when it came to Brazil vs France, I can't help but hope that Brazil will lose to France though I was pragmatic enough to know that the chance was small enough. Thank God that France was able to keep Brazil at bay with its amazing soccer. The final lineup of the semi finals is what I have predicted: Germany vs Italy, Portugal vs France. So far, my predictions since the 2nd round has never been found at the wrong side. But then, no one ever seems to believe in my judgement. France 98 saw the final between Brazil vs France. I said France will win but no one believed. My classmates were literally made to eat their words the next day. WC2002 saw Brazil vs Germany, and that, I was banking on Brazil but then, everyone too, other than a few who found the German players too cute not to support. This year, up to the quarter finals, I have been found correct too. Maybe God gave me the gift of correctly analysizing international matches in the World Cup if there's such a gift. But here's why I think the four nations will reach the semis.

For Germany vs Argentina, it seemed such a tight match. People whom I have talked to so far looked at performance in terms of goals only and said that Ballack was not performing. People whom I talked to said that Messi and Riquelme would bring Argentina through. People said that because Argentina was good, so they must beat Germany. I said 'bullshit'. What people dun realise is that Germany had 14 people on the field instead of 11. You know what I mean. My take, Germany was playing too well to be ignored. They played like the 98 France. Their forward attacks were flawless and they know where are their players in the field. And most important of all, they are fit. Some said Argentina should be the fitter team, but then, the systematic fitness training of Klinsmann meant that the Germans win handsdown in terms of fitness. Of course, when we make predictions over soccer, there is no clear possbility. But I put my bet on Germany cos by looking overall, it had the highest potential throughout this whole World Cup.

For Italy vs Ukraine... do I have to say much?

Portugal vs England was the one which I expect people to put their faith in England. Why not? Since they know most of the players... in fact all of the players. Just by Beckham, you get a lot of female supporters. By Rooney, you get almost all the people who think that England is infallible with him around. I say: NO. If England's performance was anything to go by, I would say that I was totally disgusted by their performance to even think of them entering the semis. You tell me, why should a team which think that it can only be great with Rooney, win the World Cup, or even progress from group stage? Just because it has a team of great players doesn't mean it's a champion winning team. For that match, the tendency not to support England therefore made me place my support in Portugal.

Brazil vs France was the interesting one. I like both teams though I support France more, by credit of Zidane and Henry. Either teams winning will not affect me much, as long as it's Portugal they are facing the next round. But it did shock me when I woke up with people telling me that France won. Well, people were banking on Brazil, isn't it? I would say that people were supporting Brazil just because of its players again and because it's a five star team. Some support Brazil because of the handsome players in the team... particularly Kaka. No one gave France a damn. From what I knew, only me and Chekwei were still holding on to any hope of France progressing. But Zidane and Henry proved to be more than a match to Brazil. And in the end, it was Zidane again who had undone Brazil to guarantee two more matches for France.

I think all these blindly putting faith in soccer teams reflect how people view faith and religion as a whole. Some put their faith in religions just because they sound good or what. Some because they were brought up in that religion. Most never questioned and probed deeper. Most chose to ignore apparent inconsistencies and blindly believed. Some, in an attempt to protect their 'faith', probed into the apparent loopholes of other religions without even discussing much about theirs. This is one approach which atheists will do. Ravi Zacharias put forth four questions which we must look into when we are looking into religions. Since religion is a life and death issue, it should not be taken lightly and therefore we should ask ourselves if our faith answers the questions of origin, meaning, morality and destiny in a coherent manner. Well, it's just like watching soccer, to correctly predict which team can win, you dun just look at the players and say 'because Argentina has Messi, they will win' or 'because Rooney is playing, confirm will win'. We should also not look at past records. Brazil's case speaks for itself. We should look at a more overall level, at the overall performance of the team, if the team is able to gel together as a unit etc etc etc. To be able to do so, one must be able to open up his mind and heart so that his opinion will not be biased (I must admit, while I'm able to achive this for international matches, I can't do so at club competitions). I think it should be the way to probe into any life and death issue. That's my take. Not sure if it's yours.

Anyway, my take for the coming matches: the final will be Germany vs France, Germany will go on to win France to clinch its fourth World Cup while Zidane will have a dignified exit with a World Cup final. Italy will play Portugal in the third place playoff, which Italy will eventuall clinch the third place. Actually, this competition is beginning to look more like a replay of Euro 2000....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection