Commit

This is so cool. While I was doing my QT just now, I came across Proverbs 16:3, God suddenly impressed upon me one of the words in the verse.

Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed.


I dun know what it means, so I checked out dictionary.com. And I realise that while we look at this verse, it's not saying that any plan we commit will succeed. But let's take a look at the meanings of 'commit'.

1. to give in trust or charge; consign.
I guess it is quite straightforward. Whatever we do, we transfer the plan over to God's custody, and trust that He will make things right.

2. to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance; pledge, to pledge or engage oneself
This meaning suggests that in when we commit to God our plans, there is an obligation on our part. What obligations? I asked myself this question. And I realise that it's about God's will and purpose.

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
- Proverbs 19:21


But seek first His kingdom and righteousness and all these will be given to you as well
- Matthew 6:33


When we commit our plans to God, it's not just suka suka we commit any plan. I think the next key word here (or it's always the keyword) is Lord. We commit to the Lord, to God, to Jesus, to Yahweh, to ... God basically. What does it entails? When we commit to Him our plans, as I said, there is an obligation. We need to do His wills, fulfill His purpose for us. Because it'll be very iffy if we just say 'God, we commit our plans to You.' and then what's next?

You figure out that. I think I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection