Living as a student: Rat

Rat. According to dictionary.com, one definition is that it's a slang for scoundrel, as well as a person who abandons or betrays his or her party or associates, esp. in a time of trouble. And rats run race.

According to wikipedia.com, a Rat Race is a term used for an endless, self-defeating or pointless pursuit. It conjures up the image of the futile efforts of a lab rat trying to escape whilst running around a maze or in a wheel. In an analogy to the modern city, many rats in a single maze run around making a lots of noise bumping into each other, but ultimately achieve nothing (meaningful) either collectively or individually.

According to Lily Tomlin, the trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

In the life of a student, especially in Singapore, it is inevitable that we succumb ourselves to the rat race. It is evident, in the non-forgiving educational system, that students run their own rat race, quite subtle though. While studying in secondary school, I have seen students memorising the whole textbook, quote an entire chapter in attempts to get that miserable one mark that means so much to every single one of us. While in primary school, I have seen myself and others attending tuition, so that we can get ourselves into the top two classes, and become part of the elite. Occasionally, the need to outdo each other resulted in some backstabbing and some cheating behind the scene. I distinctly remembered, that there was times in secondary school, during chinese class, that me and my friends cheated in all the class tests, so that we will not be outdone by other people who have really studied. The rat race is indeed real in the life of the ordinary student.

The race not only affects the way we do things with regards to our grades, it has also affected our way of relating with people. This is evident, especially in my secondary school, where I see a few of my friends distancing themselves from me because they just felt that my presence to them is too degrading, whatever that means. I have also seen myself succumbing to the rat race, during my JC days, when I sort of became the celebrity student (at least within the teaching staffs), that I started to scoff some of the people who were apparently less 'intelligent' than me.

Even in university, I see the rat race in work. I have heard from SL a few months back that his classmates cheated in the class test, and they claimed that it was ok, since everyone was doing it. This apparently put SL at a disadvantage, since he stood by the principle that he should not cheat (knowing that NUS operates by the virtue of the bell curve). In any case, you get the idea.

This phenomenon is indeed apparent, although it may not seem dominant among the students. As I seek to understand this phenomenon, I understand that it is the question of ethical understanding and integrity. I can almost hear some people saying, 'integrity... can eat one meh? how much it's worth?' It is almost integrity and ethics no longer matter today. In the fast pace lifestyle of Singapore, success is the ultimate goal. It is as if, you write the story, as long as the ending remains as what it ought to be.

But is it what it ought to be? While school rules all over the world has set it that it is a serious offence to cheat, people still do. And despites so, if students can engage in the rat race using other methods, such as relationships and stuff, it is apparent that at the end of the day, it lies with our choice.

The question is even presented flat in the face to the students who at least professes their faith in Christ. According to Lee Strobel, we all face these questions, and I modify them into the context we are discussing:

1. Christians believe that all people matter to God. But do we really live out that value when we're dealing with our classmates, project mates, or even our friends who are taking the same class as us?

2. Christians talk about humility and say it's better to serve than to be served. But does that show up in how we relate to the people who work with us in our school projects or in the way we trumpet our accomplishments in our quest to impress our lecturers or fellow peers?

3. Christians endorse truth telling. But does that translate into practice when we're doing our project presentation, talking about the other person from the other rival class, promising to meet the deadline for the writeup?

4. Christians preach honesty. But is that always on our mind when we're compiling our group project writeup and putting in the credits or presenting a market research finding or even trying to rush out that essay at the eve of the deadline?

5. Christians are supposed to exhibit Christ's love to others. But do we really treat people with love when we are dealing with people whom we dun like in our class or whom we think are slower in terms of understanding the concepts taught by the lecturers and teachers?

6. Christians are expected to treat people as they would have wanted themselves to be treated. But how can we justify our A for our project if we put in effort that is less than that effort?

These are some questions that a Christian student faces as he faces the rat race in school. Indeed, based on my own personal experience, it is not easy integrating my faith in my study place. Often, it may turn to a point when I will be tempted to use underhand methods to get the result I want. It need not be obvious, like faking a survey result that will reflect that my project is indeed going the right path, or even just pay off somebody online to do my essay when I felt I can't really do it.

But what about the long term? According to Job, this is what he said:

As I have observed, those who plow evil
and those who sow trouble reap it.
- Job 4:8


Indeed, as I sacrifice my integrity to survive this rat race, I will be found reaping trouble as I sow trouble. The bible is quite clear on this, that we reap what we sow. In fact, it is quite emphasized throughout the whole bible, and that is a basic working of God's law in this world. Now thinking about the things that I could have done, what if I get caught? What if I betray a peer in the group just for my grades, and I found myself needing his help in the future for a particular assignment or what? What if I am caught, and my reputation becomes tarnished in the school, to the point that I can no longer be trusted?

But as I ponder about the rat race, the verse from Solomon comes to my mind:

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 2:11


It goes to show, that even if I can get away from my deeds, in the end, it is still meaningless. Then what for, we may ask? As a student, why should we be involved in this rat race if everything is so meaningless?

My take on this is the main reason why I think we are not taken back to heaven after we receive Christ. Jesus wants us to be the salt and light of this world as He has said:

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
- Matthew 5:13-16


We are meant to be the salt and light of this world, to spread the love of Christ to those who have not heard it. And as salt and light, we are supposed to behave like one, in the image of Christ, and that will naturally includes giving 100% in whatever we are doing right now (mainly studying) and make sure that we do it right, in the way Christ would want us to accomplish it. As Solomon concluded:

Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13


And that indeed sums up why we need to stay in the rat race, and how we can stay in the race without becoming a rat. We need to stay in the race precisely because there are rats in the race, and they are who Jesus has come for:

On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
- Matthew 9:12-13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection