Christmas crossroad

Why Christmas crossroad?

In some ways, these days, it has been a bit difficult sometime to really sit down and blog. I guess I have arrived at the stage that when I blog, I want to organise my thoughts and come out with a really good post, or at least one that satisfactorily expresses out my emotions. That's why nowadays it takes me a long while to blog in one post.

Christmas crossroad? Christmas is coming, and as a Christ follower, it's definitely a season to look forward to. Someone whom I know once said to me, "Christmas is coming, so what?" I would say it mean a lot. Symbolically, it represents the day God sent His one and only Son to the world, the day when Jesus was born. Why symbolically? Because this is not really the day He was born, but can count it in, since we would need an occasion to commemorate this historical event. In some way, you know that Christmas, as a religious festival, is way off different from other holidays we have in Singapore. It is perhaps the only time of the year when I can see, at least in Singapore, that people would not hesitate to participate in, and that includes non-Christians. People will come together to find ways to celebrate Christmas, and that's what it is. In a way, it's special to everyone else, and everyone else knows it. Otherwise, why would you want to come at this time to exchange presents?

Christmas crossroad? Yeah, Christmas is coming, so what? An opportunity to spread the love of Christ? Definitely. An opportunity to invite friends to join in a Christian event? Maybe. An opportunity to exchange gifts and show love? Perhaps... A few posts ago, I mentioned that my RC has a tradition of doing gift exchange every Christmas. Perhaps it has all devolved into a form of systematic and rigid structure of exchanging gifts. I have come to wonder what gift exchange is all about. Initially, I would have thought that gift exchange is just some nice tradition to have in Christmas. Christmas is special to me, definitely, and I thought gift exchange is part of the equation. Somehow or rather, the viewpoint changed a lot. Knowing Christ, of course, makes much difference to my thought pattern. I came to realise that as God sent His Son down as a gift, most of us may not have realised that it's a gift, but it's a gift nevertheless. It just depends whether you want to take it or not. And I came to be convicted that if I am to give a gift, I want to give something to tell people that God loves all of us. The symbolism of this day demands the kind of symbolical respect from the people as well, at least it demands me to not treat it as just a gift exchange.

Christmas crossroad? Gold nor silver I have, but what I have I want to give. At the end of the day, strip me down to the core, open me up and I want people to see that it's God's love all inside. So I want to give this, not anything else.

Christmas crossroad? Perhaps a lot of us are in this Christmas crossroad. Since the birth of Christ, our lives have been in this crossroad. We would need to choose how we want to treat Christmas. I have chosen to treat it the way it should be treated, and I dun think I can ever regret this. ha

Till I reach another crossroad again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection