Conscious of Jesus

Recently I have been asked of this question if I am conscious of God in my life. The context of this question lies in the fact that God is a spiritual being whom we can't tangibly interact with. Take it this way, with our friends around us, we are able to interact with them and we know that they are interacting with us, and therefore we are conscious of their presence. In the case of God, we interact with Him, a lot of times, we dun know how He is going to interact with us. Human beings behave as such, that we tend not to be conscious of anything tangible. And this is the fact. However, God wants us to seek Him all the time, and consciousness of God and His Holy Spirit is perhaps something we need in order to lead a holy life that is pleasing to His eyes. And of course, such consciousness is also required for us to improve our personal relationship with God, as we cannot build relationship with someone we are not conscious of.

Perhaps the first step starts with knowing for certain that you have a personal relationship with God. Coincidentally, after I was asked that question, this topic was being discussed during our combined cg. It dawned upon me at that point of time that the pre-requisite of being certain that we have a personal relationship with God is firstly be assured of our salvation through Jesus. I know it's quite 'duh' but honestly speaking, in our daily lives, are you really aware that you are saved by the grace of Jesus? The logic goes like this, as long as we are not sure if we are being saved, we will never be able to be sure if we are going to have a personal relationship with God at all. We are justified by faith, through Jesus Christ, and this constitutes the single most important step in reconciling our relationship with God in the first place. Only when we are cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, that we are able to appear before God as pure and sinless, and to draw close to Him - the very reason why Jesus died for us. To put it inversely, as long as we are not sure if this is going to happen, even if this happens in our lives, it is likely that the doubt may result in a barrier in us drawing closer to God, and thus building a personal relationship with Him. It is only in the knowledge that through Jesus, God becomes our personal God that we can start being conscious of His presence.

I said that after I gave my answer to the question. My answer to the question of being conscious of God's presence lies in the everyday situations. Over time, I have learned that God dun put me through events for no reason. Every single step that we take, and every person whom we come to contact, and every happening in our lives will eventually make out who we are. I remember, that before I received Christ, I put on a post on Who am I, and I concluded that I am the result of the everyday decision that I made. And put God into the picture, and you will see how He plays a role in moulding us. This becomes important because we need to acknowledge God's role in our everyday lives. As the proverb goes: "In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." As such, whenever something happens to me, I will start asking God, "hey God, what is it that you are trying to tell me?" somewhere along that line. Doing so allows to really acknowledge God's presence in my life. In a sense, I'm training myself to be conscious of God in everything I do.

Another thing is that more than often or not, I travel alone. And travelling alone is boring. But thank God for God. Therefore, when I travel alone, I tend to think about stuff, and I will start conversing with God. Once it becomes a habit, I also learn to be conscious of God in my life, especially during those travels.

One common theme among these approaches, I can say, is prayer. Prayer is when we talk to God, and by praying, we are practising to be conscious of God's presence. I guess, in order to be conscious of God's presence, we will need to start accepting that He is always there to listen to us and be ready to hear from Him. Over the past years, I have learned that as long as we are unwilling to seek God first, even when God speaks to us, it is improbable that we will hear Him. Our heart will need to be opened to Him.

Being conscious of God is something that Christians should experience all the time. It's different from 'feeling God's presence' but just bearing in mind that He is there, standing beside us, carrying us when we are experiencing trials, laughing with us when we succeed. It definitely requires faith, but logically speaking, if we have faith enough to receive Jesus into our lives, and accept that He has died and resurrected three days later so that we can be redeemed from our sins, then what can stop us from drawing even closer to Him? What can stop us from being aware of His presence all the time, even when we dun 'feel' it?

In times to come, I will write again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection