A poem by a 19 years old American soldier during the Vietnam War

Look God: I have never spoken to You,
But now I want to say, "How do You do."

You see God, they told me You did not exist;
And, like a fool, I believed all of this.

Last night from a shell hole I saw Your sky;
I figured right then they had told me a lie.

Had I taken the time to see the things You made,
I would know they weren't calling a spade a spade.

I wonder, God, if You would shake my hand;
Somehow, I feel that You will understand.

Strange, I had to come to this hellish place
Before I had time to see Your face.

Well, I guess there isn't much more to say,
But I am sure glad, God, I met You today.

I guess the zero hour will soon be here,
But I am not afraid since I know You are near.

The signal - well, God, I will have to go;
I love you lots, this I want you to know.

Looks like this will be a horrible fight;
Who knows, I may come to your house tonight.

Though I wasn't friendly with you before,
I wonder, God, if you would wait at the door.

Look, I am crying, me shedding tears!
I wish I had known you these many years.

Well, I will have to go now, God. Goodbye -
Strange, since I met you, I am not afraid to die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity

Of Teaching and Learning