What Discontent

I was travelling back home last night after a brief round of brainless fun with my LG in the arcade after dinner. Along the way, while I was travelling in the train, it suddenly flashed upon me (I forgot how that thought came to me) that there is a discontentment within me. It is not about discontented with what I have currently, since I know God has blessed me with a lot of things and I have learned to live with what I have.

But it is a sort of discontentment that says 'I still need to grow more and more in wisdom and understanding'. It is the kind of discontentment that makes me feel that I still have a long way to go in terms of understanding the word of God and the intricacies of biblical principles, as well as the realisation that I still want to know more, learn more and yet have such limited resources to do so (but the Holy Spirit is an infinite resource). What more is the limited capacity within ourselves to apply the knowledge and principles that we often sieve from the word of God.

I began to wonder, thus, the attitudes of believers nowadays on what they are really discontented with. Are we discontented with our pay, our work, our friends, our church, our leaders? Are we discontented with the right stuff or are we discontented with the wrong stuff that may serve to distract us away from God? I had an interesting conversation with some of the brothers and sisters in my LG and we were talking about some of the younger believers nowadays. It may be a bit of a generalisation but we all do observe that the theory of the strawberry generation is true, at least here in our Uni-YA service. How many times do we observe that nowadays students are more interested in their projects and SEPs than their service to God? How many times do we observe that people want to do things in the name of God instead of doing things for God? For their self-interest? Because they felt that they are being short-changed in the church? Because they are discontented with the wrong things?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection