Musing about Christmas

For to us a child is born
To us a son is given... - Isaiah 9:6a
Entering into Christmas, it is intriguing to see people wishing Jesus 'happy birthday' on Facebook and Twitter. But the more I think about it, the more inaccurate I feel.

I was just musing, how can it be that Christmas is the birthday of Jesus? Technically speaking, Christmas is not the birthday of Jesus, because the son is not born, He is given. He has existed eternally. Remember that the Word is with God, and the Word is God? Now, if Jesus is eternal, can someone tell me why are we celebrating His birthday? Isn't birthday a celebration of creation? Yet, I think there are reasons to continue to celebrate if we mean the arrival of the God incarnate on Earth.

All in all, at this stage, I just find it weird to celebrate Christmas as the birthday of God. It just doesn't sound right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Iakobou Epistode: From Confusion to Clarity