Moving into 2015 - A Late Review

This is a bit late, but I still think that I should make an effort to reflect on my year 2014 to give my readers a glimpse on what went on... especially since 2014 was my least productive year in terms of number of blog postings.

The secret voice within my mind...
For 2014, I am going to adopt something different compared to previous years. Instead of reviewing year by year, I will do it by major themes that happen, since this will be easier for me and less tedious for people to read.

1. Calling as a Christian minister

In some sense, 2014 is a year when I was forced to clarify my calling as a Christian minister. By Christian minister, I don't mean a paid one, but I would define a Christian minister as a Christian who is serving God. This person needs not be a full time paid person in church or any other related organisation. In my context, I was serving concurrently as a lifegroup leader, in community projects as well as some education related stuff.

2014 signals a beginning in the change in focus - particularly towards teaching. This is something that was unexpected. Middle of the year, I was asked to co-teach in a class for basic Christian doctrines and then later in the year, I was co-teaching in church on a book study in Romans. In my mission trips, I was also involved in teaching ethics in a underground bible school in a land that shall not be mentioned. Further confirmations came in other forms, such as being invited to go for an advanced teaching seminar by my college.

Overall, the sensing is that God is beginning to steer me towards a ministerial career in teaching and I suppose, as I move into 2015, this is one area of ministry that I will be increasingly focusing on, while I drop off other commitments.

2. Calling in my career

2014 also marks a change in my career direction. As most of you know, I was previously working as a civil servant or as I would call it colloquially, a government minion, if I am merely doing my job and taking instructions and not following a calling. But God, by some interesting twists in events, called me out of my previously comfortably paid job to a really full-time ministry in a parachurch organisation, leading a marketplace ministry.

The biggest struggle I suppose was the fall in salary, when I had to take the jump in faith and believe that God will provide. The best part was that at the point when I was taking up the offer, I was supposed to preach on serving God and God's providence during my mission trip. Hence, I knew that it was something that I needed to make sense of myself as I obey God in His calling.

But the biggest benefit that came out from this move is that I am finally doing something that I can put all my soul in doing, and not dragging my feet to work everyday. I am in an excellent working environment (and by this I do not mean a Christian environment provides the best workplace) where work-life balance is duly respected and honored. Of course there are challenges that I face and will be facing with people and with my work, but I found that I have more time to rest, which is a good thing. I also have more time to dwell more into the Word and think about theological issues.

If one asks me whether I will stay long in my current position, my answer to you is that I will stay as long as God calls me to. Given His track record, I know that I am in good hands if I continue to seek His face and hear from Him.

3. Relationship

For those who are closest to me, you will know that 2014 also marks the change in my relationship status, though if you only follow me through Facebook, this is one aspect that has remained relatively private on social media. Taking the first step towards marriage, it was indeed a big change for me, in terms of how I spend my time and how much time I can spend. For more details, please just click the link to the right of this blog titled "Our Journey." To surmise in this post, I would say that the learning curve has been steep for a man who has remained single for close to 30 years in his life and I suppose there are a lot more that I can learn.

Even Leon cheers for me
And that sums up the major happenings in 2014. If you ask me what do I see when I look back, I think I can perhaps say that it has been unpredictable. Looking back, God had been unpredictable in how He led me to the different places and to the different people. When I look at it, Paul's doxology in Romans 16:25-27 comes to mind:
Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith— to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.
And it could only be the only wise God, the only One is so capable of bringing me through such a journey - the only one God in my life who has loved me and provided me with so much grace.

Looking forward to 2015, I would suppose that I need to build on what God has called me to do in 2014, streamlining my ministries as well as focusing more on the key important things. A few things I must say that came to mind for 2015:

A. Ministry Streamlining

Increasingly, it became apparent that I cannot continue to be involved in all things and everything and I need to see how I can cut away other ministry involvements that are distracting me away from the things that I have heard more clearly. In some sense, this means taking out some stuff which I have treated as sacred cows. Some questions to ask include, "should I continue to be involved in the community side of the house in church," "how am I going to cope with the increasing overlap between work and church," and "what can I do to be focused in the teaching ministry?"

B. Onward to Settlement

It is not a hidden secret that I am planning to get settled down and end my status as a single unmarried man once and for all. The question to ask for this is what are the unanswered questions that have been left unasked. Getting into this relationship status means that the man has to ask himself some tough questions. It is really akin to denying oneself and taking up the cross. And it is definitely not for the faint-hearted and the uncommitted. That's why I think men who are not ready should not get into it. But for me, this year will probably be one when I seek the answers more intentionally.

C. Mission I'm Possible

Obviously I still want to go overseas for mission, but the nature of the mission has changed or deviated from what the church does normally. After three times to the same place, I am looking to go back to the bible school and the surrounding churches (if time permits) to teach and minister. My church looks to pioneer new house churches which I am still interested but I think at this moment, the area that I am in may not be an area of focus and due to the work I am doing, I do not want to give the impression that I am intruding into "their territories". Certainly, this means that I need to spend more time preparing for the materials and ensuring that they are at least quality enough to train up ministers of God over there.

Are there more? Certainly, but after one month into 2015, these are the ones that I can think of right. I am quite sure that along the way, God will reveal more along the way.

Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parable of the 'Good Samaritan'

Of Teaching and Learning

Of Exegesis, Wedding Preparation and the Whole Lot of Things: Another Reflection